Talk Show Host Promotion & Marketing Tips
For some, marketing, publicity, and promotion are not easy. So for those who might benefit, we put together this section as it can help you and your guests. First, it’s key to realize that some of your show’s greatest promoters and fans are your guests, for they will promote and talk up your show to all of their fans for free. This strategy can bring in many new fans and increase your rankings because of all the good incoming links placed around the internet. All of this will make your show more popular, which helps you and your guests – a true win-win!
Like you, your guests are busy, and they often won’t have time to find everything you would like them to use. You can help all your mini-promoters by giving them everything they need. You do this because if everything is there and easy to cut and paste, they will use more of it more frequently on all their social media/websites. First, the way to do this is to create and send a standard media kit that contains everything they need for your show. This can also be made into a webpage and shared. Next, you create guest templates that are then filled out and sent to each guest. These contain guest-specific appearance information. If needed, create a Preshow template for live events (if applicable) — a Postshow template to promote recordings.
Here are some ideas of what to include.
- Names: Your Show Name, Host Names, and others on the show with pronunciation ques if needed.
- Show: Links to ALL the locations of your show around the web. Don’t just give one link to a page that has all the links to show location. Include that page and include a link to each location, as in if you are on YouTube, Vimeo, Apple, Google, heart radio, etc. Include a link to each site.
- Social Media: Links & Handles to ALL the HOST(s) & the SHOW’s social media profiles. LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, & Others
- Example: https://www.instagram.com/realpeaceace/ @realPeaceAce
- Tell them to follow you and that you will do the same if they send you their contact links.
- Groups: Links to Groups on Facebook, LinkedIn, and others that the guest can join, if any.
- Websites: Links to the main website(s) and links to key locations you want to highlight, if any.
- Email Address: Give them your best email address(s), so they can update and contact you directly.
- Images/Vids: Show logos, preshow flyer to advertise live show with guest, after-show images with guest and your show logo, etc. If you have promo vids, give links to them here.
- Text Blurbs: Include your show description, mini-bios of hosts, show tag lines, or any other text promotion materials as these materials will be used in their postings about you and the show.
- Hashtags: Include all the hashtags you would like them to use in their promotion.
- Newsletter & Other: Include a link to sign up for your newsletter or other promotions, courses, etc.
Guest Episode Template: Like the bullet above, “Show,” where you include links to all show locations, instead here, you have links to Their Episode. If a live show and simulcasting include links to all sites.
Helpful Show Hardware Tip: As you may have noticed, some shows or meetings break up, stutter, and freeze. Often this is caused by Wireless Bandwidth Limitations on laptops and other devices with no wired ethernet port. You can usually fix this by using a USB to Ethernet Adaptor and a high-speed cord that connects directly to your router. You can share this with your guest before the show to help them avoid these issues.
Adaptors look like this:
You can get the Adaptor on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3uvSn75